Thank you Mr Facilitator,
- I’m making this statement on behalf of the European Union and its Member States.
- Firstly, we wish to congratulate you and assure you of our full support. We look forward to working closely with you; we are convinced that under your leadership the review will be successful.
- We thank you for this elements paper which we have examined carefully. At this stage we wish to make some preliminary comments with the intention to come back with more detailed views at a later stage.
- We wish to build on the existing consensus as reflected in the Strategy. We are of the view that we need to reinforce the holistic approach to counter-terrorism reflected in the Strategy and to encourage a balanced implementation of all its pillars.
- With regard to the resolution on the third review of the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy, we welcome your approach of building on resolution 64/297.
- In light of the above, we would like to propose a few elements that should be included in the draft resolution, building on, but updating as necessary, the language of resolution 64/297:
- Reaffirm the Strategy as a comprehensive framework for the UN, its Member States and relevant international, regional and sub-regional organisations to continue their joint efforts in preventing and countering terrorism in all its aspects, covering all four pillars of the Strategy.
- In the light of the recommendations of the Secretary General’s report, encourage the enhanced implementation of the Strategy through further development of comprehensive national and regional Strategy implementation plans, by enhancing capacity-building, by promoting international cooperation, by strengthening international solidarity with and respect for the rights of victims of terrorism and by establishing a United Nations counter-terrorism coordinator in order to strengthen the coordination and coherence of the UN counter-terrorism work and to represent the United Nations to external actors in counter-terrorism issues.
- With regard to the coordinator, we also stress the crucial importance to address the aspects and issues defining this new position: the mandate; the reporting functions; the structure of the coordinator’s office; the modalities for the position, etc. as this approach would assure the transparency of the procedure, ownership by Member States and equal attention to all stakeholders and UN bodies.
- Recall the primary responsibility for the implementation of the Strategy rests with the Member States.
- Encourage efforts to prevent and combat terrorism in all its forms and manifestations through collective approaches and by strengthening cooperation between the UN system and all relevant stakeholders at national and regional levels.
- Encourage the CTITF to further develop ways to associate civil society and the private sector with the implementation of the Strategy.
- Call on Member States to accede to existing international instruments against terrorism, and to intensify their efforts to conclude negotiations on a Comprehensive Convention against International Terrorism.
- Underline the importance of integrating a counter-terrorism dimension in all relevant UN policies and encourage the CTITF to continue its efforts in this regard.
- Emphasise that the promotion and protection of human rights, fundamental freedoms and the respect for the rule of law are essential for all the components of the Strategy.
- Welcome the establishment of GCTF, its early achievements and encourage its close cooperation with UN bodies.
- We are listening with interest to the views being expressed by other Member States and look forward to engage constructively with you and other Member States in order to reach consensus on a text which can further stimulate the concrete implementation by the Member States of the strategy.
I thank you.